Saturday, January 12, 2008

3 Things a Man Should Have Before He Has a Wife

It hit me. My daughter will be 17 years old this year. Although I would like to wrap her up and protect her youth and innocence. (yes, I know...it would kill me to know what she may have said or done when I was not around). My biggest concern is that some young man is going to do to my baby what I did to her mother that produced her.

Although the thought is repulsive, and I am already planning on going to therapy as a result of my next thought, but my baby....will one day have sex, (yes, I am believing that she is still a virgin at 17....) and....gulp...get married. So how can I protect her from the time wasters? What can I say to her that will help her to decide which ones are frogs, and which one is her prince? How can you tell whether a man is worth, or even ready to ne married, love aside?

Here is what I am going to tell her. It is a short passage from the Bible that tells when a man is ready yo be married.The passage is Genesis 2:15-17.

Genesis 2:15-17 (NASB) 15 Then the Lord God took the man and put him into the garden of Eden to cultivate it and keep it. 16 The Lord God commanded the man, saying, "From any tree of the garden you may eat freely; 17 but from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat from it you will surely die."

#1. No man is ready for marriage unless he has his own home.

[Then the Lord God took the man and put him into the garden of Eden]

It amazes me how many couples-young and old, will get married and live in someone elses' home. How can you plan a life, if you have no place to plan? Before you say I do to him, make sure that he has a roof over his own head which consists of a mortgage, lease or rental agreement. If not, you are headed for trouble. A man MUST be able to take care of himslef before he will be able to take care of someone else.

#2. No man is ready to be married unless he has a job.

[...to cultivate it and keep it]

Please note that God placed the man in the garden to do something-To work! Adam did not get a wife until after he had a job. Marrying a man that does not have a job is trouble. Oh, he has a job? If it is illegal, immoral or unthical, he still has no job. my advice is to wait until he does or wait for another man. Men are like busses, another one will be along in a few moments.....

#3. No man is worth marrying unless he has a relationship with God.

[The Lord God commanded the man, saying, "From any tree of the garden you may eat freely; 17 but from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat from it you will surely die.]

Too many men have no morals, standards or rules in their lives, and that is why so many women are abused and killedby their husbands. A realationship with God should put some boundaries in place. A men should have some lines he will cross, some words he will not utter, some decisions he simply won't act on. Why, becausue he knows that he is accountable for his actions to someone greater than himself.

So, when I sit down to have that talk, I am going to tell her that any man that she would even consider to be worthy of her hand, must have three things: A roof, a job,and a relationship. That will be the hardest talk, but it will be the most important talk that I can share with my baby, who is not a baby anymore, becasue she is on her way to being someone else's baby.

No comments: